Redeemer is one of only a few multi-racial congregations who are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA) and its Saint Paul Area Synod. In 1889, German Lutherans in St. Paul founded Redeemer as an English-speaking congregation. They were distinctive among St. Paul's numerous immigrant Lutherans because they wanted to give their children the opportunity to worship and receive religious instruction in the English language. In 1911, the congregation bought property on the corner of Dale Street and Carroll Avenue in the old Rondo neighborhood.
Over the years, the congregation expanded that original structure and assured the building's longevity with extensive restoration work. Redeemer has maintained it connection to what is now known as the Summit University community and its doors remain open to a wide variety of community groups and organizations whose programs and services benefit neighborhood children and their families.
The congregation's mission is as follows:
Lutheran Church of the Redeemer is a Christian community of faith gathered to worship and proclaim our risen Lord, Jesus Christ, through the ministry of Word and Sacrament. Renewed and nurtured through our liturgical worship and Christian education, we grow spiritually and are strengthened for witness and service. Enriched by the diversity of our membership and neighborhood, we are committed to ministry that reaches out with compassion and welcomes all people in the name of Christ.
Original church building on the corner of Lafayette and Woodard - 1891
"New" church building on the corner of
Dale & Carroll - 1911
Current church building on the corner of Dale & Carroll - 2013